Being entirely clueless when it comes to the world of wines, a friend who took pity on my ignorance suggested I purchase a bottle of Pinot Grigio in the $15 range and give it a try. Okay!

Ahead of time I read up a little on Pinot Grigio and discovered that it is Italy's most popular white wine and hails from the northeast region of the country. The particular bottle I purchased was made by Pighin from the vineyards of Grave del Friuli. Pinot Grigio is the Italian version of the French Pinot Gris, which is usually a medium-full bodied white wine. It is a cocktail wine which primes the palate for food and pairs well with seafood.

The stuff wasn't bad. My husband busted it open as I was making dinner preparations last night. Mike (who never has been big on wine of any kind) gave it a try and immediately excused himself from the experiment. I, however, really liked the stuff and now had the bottle all to myself. ;) SCORE!

In spite of my raging lushhood, dinner turned out beautifully. I tried to take some photographs of a couple of new recipes in action, but none of the photos turned out particularly well and I really don't know why. *hic*


CHEERS!

But... what's wrong with this picture? Apparently I am drinking out of a champagne flute instead of a proper wine glass (duh! must go shopping!). I am also holding the bowl rather than the stem as I take a drink and when drinking white wine (which is typically chilled) you want to preserve the serving temperature of the wine as long as possible by raising the glass by its stem. I think I would feel absolutely ridiculous drinking that way, but it should make for some amusing photos. ;)

Until next time...

"I cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food." ~ W.C. Fields


This entry was posted on 12:46 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

4 comments:

    Paguma said...

    We drink a lot of wine, with dinner.

    Most of our bottles are in the $10-$15 range.

    We're not high end connoisseurs though. Good enough to know what crap is, not good enough to care about the difference between a $20 bottle and a $100 bottle. Other than the fact there's no way I'm paying $100 for a bottle! :-)

  1. ... on January 19, 2009 at 2:25 PM  
  2. rhondapalooza said...

    That's all I really aspire to be. Don't worry, I'm not gonna go gettin' all snobby on ya or anything! haha ;)

    Just never have been into wine. Have rarely ever drank anything other than Zin or Champagne in my entire life. Maybe a glass or two of something else here or there, but nothing to speak of or recall.

    Just wanted to educate myself a bit in an area where I know absolutely nothing. Certainly makes it easy to be successful in my ambitions that way. ;)

    Have any wines you particularly enjoy or recommend that I try?

  3. ... on January 19, 2009 at 4:29 PM  
  4. robp said...

    I wish I knew what it was, but a few months back I was given a bottle of red by a wine bar owner I'd done a couple of favors for. He told me it was an $80 bottle. I know nothing about wine, but I've got a high tolerance for real good beer. Anyway, I had a couple glasses of this stuff and had this real clear totally hallucinogenic but remembered the next day dreams. Cool effect, but the third night it was just good wine, no special dreams. Tolerance will be the death of me.

    In the $15 range from a beer drinker, the Coppola Merlot seems to be pretty good.

  5. ... on January 19, 2009 at 5:21 PM  
  6. rhondapalooza said...

    haha ;) Cheap date!

    Thanks for the Coppola Merlot suggestion. I will report back. ;)

  7. ... on January 19, 2009 at 8:45 PM